When and where we meet:

Every 2nd Monday of the month at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Leigh on Mendip

Visitors welcome!

For more details contact Mary Mears

or leave a comment here on our blog

Leigh on Mendip Community Coffee Mornings

1st Monday of the month in the Memorial Hall from 9.45 to 10.45am.

Come along for a coffee and a chat!



Friday, 3 August 2018

County Fun Quiz

This was held at a number of different venues on Wednesday 25 July.

A team of 6 from Leigh on Mendip put their brains to the test - and were very pleased to come third out of eight teams.

Thank you to Frome WI for hosting this event and providing a delicious quiche supper.

Visit to Stoberry Gardens



A Group Event was arranged at Stoberry Gardens in Wells on 19 June.  A number of the WI ladies from Leigh on Mendip really enjoyed their evening here.  The gardens are wonderful with stunning views.





After a talk and walk around the grounds we had refreshments and it was lovely to meet up with members from other locals WIs.





A big Thank You from Leigh on Mendip to the organisers.

Summer Events

Leigh On Mendip Summer Fair

Thank you to everyone who supported our efforts at the 2018 Summer Fair.  Pity about the weather.  With the sunshine now I am sure we would have sold more ice-creams and Pimms!!


The Tombola Stall was a great success. We are very grateful to those WI members and other people in the Village who donated bottles, gifts, etc. etc.

Our share of the pay-out will help pay  the Speakers for our 2019 Programme.

Wednesday, 11 July 2018

Meeting Monday 9 July 2018


In July it was confirmed that several people had agreed to help with some of the tasks Mary Mears had been carrying out and that this meant she was able to take on the President’s job as hoped.

The business matters included the cancellation of the Group business meeting on the 25th of July and some more detail on the Group Social meeting on the 26th of September. There would be a light supper and a speaker for £3.50 a head and members were asked to think about whether they were able to help or just attend.

The recent lunch in the Bell had been well attended and Mary reminded members this was a first Friday regular occasion which people could just drop in to if they were free. It was noted the monthly coffee morning would not take place in August but the lunch would. We were also looking ahead to the President’s evening social in the Hall on August 13th, most had signed up to say what they were bringing, if you still need to, please let Mary or Barbara know before the 13th.

The programme planning meeting had been arranged for Monday 15th of October. If you have any ideas for speakers etc. do either go along to the meeting or let a committee member know beforehand.

We then had a talk from ex-nurse Lottie Dale who has been selling Aloe Vera products for several years. She explained all about the types and formats available and about many of the uses they have. We were able to sample both the cream, which can help aching joints and the liquids which can help with all sorts of situations including improving your immune and digestive systems.

Our next meeting will be Monday 10th September at 7.30pm with a talk about English Country Cheeses, including a tasting!

Wednesday, 13 June 2018

Meeting Monday 11 June 2018




At our June meeting, following a vote by members, Mary Mears was elected and agreed to stand as our new President. She explained this meant other people needed to take over her current role and two members agreed to help where they could, one attending committee meetings, the other assisting when she had time.

Various arrangements were finalised including pick up for the Stoberry Garden trip, help with the Group business meeting on 25th July and for the Group social on 26th September. Everyone going to the President’s evening in the Hall on August 13th was asked to tick a box to say what sort of food they would be bringing, this to make sure of more variety than last year. Barbara then went through several items in the County News and let us know we could suggest a Resolution for 2019 if we had an idea we would like put forward. She also reminded us that, in addition to our own bursary for Denman, they issue a substantial one themselves for first time attendees, meaning very low outlay for the member applying.  Finally Barbara suggested looking at “My WI” on the internet where they were currently promoting a Healthy Eating Week and evidently run many other campaigns.

Our speaker, Sandy Bateman, came to talk to us about the Minack Theatre in Cornwall. She told us a lot about how Rowena Cade came to build it and also about her own experiences of acting there. She brought some lovely photographs of the theatre with its spectacular position on the coast and many programmes from productions held there over the years.

Our next meeting will be Monday 9th July at 7.30pm when we will find out all about Aloe Vera.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018

Meeting 14 May 2018


Lots to get through at our May meeting with the usual business matters, the AGM, the Resolution to discuss and a talk to finish.

We were reminded of the Group business meeting in Leigh on Wednesday 25th July, the President’s evening in the Hall on 13th August and the Group meeting, again in Leigh Hall, on Wed September 26th. For the President’s evening Barbara asked if we could specify the type of food we would be bringing as last year there were far too many quiches! Still on a food note she mentioned only 2 came to the last first Friday lunch in the Bell and hoped more would be able to come to the next one on Friday 1st June. We were also asked to hand in at least two tombola prizes each for the fete, ideally by the end of May.

The AGM part of the evening included Caroline answering questions on the accounts and Mary reading out a report on the year’s activities on behalf of Jan Pattison. Our current President Sue Rodford had resigned due to poor health, Barbara was standing in on a temporary basis and we agreed to leave voting for a new President to a later date. However we were pleased that two relatively new members agreed to join the committee.

One of our members then gave us a personal take on the Resolution which was about parity of funding for mental health with that for physical health. Following a discussion with other personal experiences included we then voted in favour of the Resolution.

Finally Wendy Worley, a Leigh resident for many years, gave us a talk about how her interest in writing began from investigating a family tree and explained how this finally resulted in the publication of a book with a World War One theme. She has since gone on to write a second, not yet published. She then read us an extract from the first book.

Our next meeting will be Monday 11th June at 7.30pm when we will have a talk on the Minack theatre in Cornwall.

Monday, 30 April 2018

ACWW WALK



We were so lucky with the weather on 30 April.

12 people (and a dog!) came to support our walk for ACWW.



We walked around the Quarry and then returned to the Village Hall for a very welcome cup of tea and cake!

Thank you to everyone who came.  We raised £34.

Sunday, 15 April 2018

Meeting 9 April 2018


We were looking ahead to various events at our April meeting. There would be a walk of about an hour around the quarry on Mon 30th April at 2pm in aid of ACWW, followed by refreshments back at the Village Hall. Looking further ahead our May meeting would include our AGM and a discussion on the Resolutions, please see your latest WI Life for details of the subject which is to do with mental health.  We would also be hearing from Leigh resident Wendy Worley about her latest book.

June sees Leigh’s annual fete and we were reminded to carry on collecting contributions for the adult tombola which the WI will be running in addition to selling ice creams, Pimms and Mocktails. Even further on in the year will be our President’s Evening on August 13th. No details yet but this may have a different format to previous years and is planned to be held in the Memorial Hall.

Our speaker was Jim Hardcastle, the Mendip Hills AONB Unit Manager. He explained what area is covered, which some of us were disappointed to realise did not include Leigh, and the sort of work they do trying to protect it with the help of partners such as the Mendip Society and the Somerset Earth Science Centre. The unit has a very limited amount of paid staff and relies to a great extent on volunteers but still manages to do a lot of valuable work.

Our next meeting will be Monday 14th May, see above for details.

Buckland Dinham 100th Birthday Party


On Saturday 7 April Buckland Dinham WI celebrated their 100th Birthday.  A great achievement!  They invited members from other local WIs to attend a Tea Party in their Village Hall.




We had delicious sandwiches and plenty of homemade cakes, scones & cream, strawberries and 'bubbly' to toast their good health.

Thank you Buckland Dinham - our members who went had a wonderful afternoon.

Thursday, 5 April 2018

LITTER PICK

I hear a Great BIG THANK YOU should go to those wonderful people who braved the cold weather (and snow!) on Saturday 17 March to do the Litter Pick.  Well done you.

And thank you to anyone else who has since gone along the lanes to continue the good work.

Let's hope that not too much rubbish gets discarded through our village over the summer.

Tuesday, 13 March 2018

Meeting 12th March 2018



Our President Sue Rodford pointed out several articles of interest in the County News March edition. These included a picture of our visit to Shepton Prison, some craft events coming up in Burrrowbridge and at the Bath and West showground and for the latter venue a reminder of volunteers needed for the WI tea tent at the annual show.

We were also reminded to start thinking about contributions for our adult tombola stall at the fete in June as we will need a lot of prizes. The recent snow had meant the village clean-up had been postponed and would now take place on Sat 17th March, all arrangements as before.

Looking ahead into April the monthly coffee morning will resume on Friday 2nd, another event which was affected by last month’s snow. We have one team of 4 entered for the Hall quiz on Saturday 7th but often manage to enter two so if you are interested ring Sue Vaughan on 813115, we can put together a team of 4 from individuals if needed. Lastly there are still no volunteers to carry the banner at the Wells event on the 28th but if you do think you may be able to help with this contact Sue Rodford as soon as possible as the cloth needs supports made to enable it to be carried. 

We then had an interesting and informative talk about composting from Steve Mynard who spreads the word about the importance of this on behalf of Somerset County Council. He gave us plenty of tips on what to do and gave us some very useful handouts to take away, so no excuses not to get on and start composting if you don’t already.

At the next meeting on Monday April 9th there will be a talk on the Mendip Hills so very relevant to us all.

Wednesday, 14 February 2018

Meeting 12 February 2018


Two appeals for help first. We need a new representative to attend the monthly Fete meetings. It’s important we are involved in the Fete as it is by far our main source of income during the year. This time as well as selling ice cream, Pimms and Mocktails we will be running the adult tombola so will need donations for that nearer the time. The second appeal is for two people to take our banner to the Parade in Wells on 28 April, see the latest County News. If you can help with either of these please contact President Sue Rodford on 812766 or any committee member.

Don’t forget the usual monthly lunch in the Bell on Friday 2nd March and the village clean up on Sat 3rd. The latter will start from the Hall at 2pm where you will be allocated an area to litter pick. Refreshments will be available back at the Hall from 3pm.

We are going to take part in the WI photo competition so keep that in mind and take your snaps at any WI involved activity in the coming months. Our 12 photos will be chosen at the end of the year. Finally would you like to attend a course at Denman our WI headquarters college? There is currently a £150 bursary towards the costs on offer with one person interested at the moment. This would be shared if more than one applicant. Contact Mary Mears if you need any information on what courses are available.

After the business matters our entertainment was a Valentine card workshop led by member Jeni Francis. This was very well organised with a good variety of materials provided to use to decorate the cards and produced some lovely results.

At the next meeting on Monday March 12th we will hear an “amusing?” talk on composting from Steve Mynard.