Tuesday, 9 October 2018
Christmas preparations were beginning in earnest at our October meeting. The Christmas meal had been booked for Monday 3rd December at the Mendip Inn which the committee had chosen following a lot of thought and research. Deposits were taken for this where possible and menu choices made.
Some donations had already been made for the Christmas shoe box appeal but there is still time to make a contribution. Various items are needed for either men or women including socks, instant food and drink sachets, sweets and small toiletries but basically anything small, either useful or a treat. Bring your gifts along to the November meeting or give to a committee member.
Do you enjoy decorating Christmas trees? If the answer is yes you may like to be part of a small group needed to put together our WI’s entry for the competition in the church this year. No decision yet on the theme as the group will decide that, although suggestions of either plastic pollution or loneliness have been made. Contact president Mary Mears or any committee member if you feel this is something you may be able to help with.
Our speaker, Lysbeth Ballantine, told us all about the history of the “Save the Children” charity from its formation nearly 100 years ago to the present day. She had been a volunteer for many years, now mainly fundraising and promoting the charity through talks such as this. Led for many years now by the Princess Royal, they work all over the world, including the UK, saving children’s lives, with far reaching action rather than just a “quick fix”.
At our next meeting on Monday 12th November at 7.30pm the speaker will tell us all about her career “Behind the scenes in TV”.
Posted by Leigh on Mendip W.I. at 14:29
Monday, 8 October 2018
WI DATES AND DEADLINES – AUTUMN 2018
· Christmas Meal, Monday 3rd December at The Mendip Inn on the A37 near Oakhill. £23.50 2 courses, £26.50 for 3 courses. Please let Kaz or Mary know ASAP if you want to come (or even if not) £10 deposit to Mary by 22nd October latest. Menu choices and cheque for the balance at November meeting latest.
· Programme Planning Meeting Monday 15th October at Caroline’s 7.30pm ALL welcome to help chose our 2019 speakers/events or send ideas in advance.
· Village Quiz 17th November – partners welcome – names ASAP please
· Frome Group Carol Service – Friday 7th Dec 3pm at Beckington. Names and arrangements to be sorted in November
· Village Christmas Tree Festival – 8/9 Dec in the church. Small group needed to create our entry.
· Food Bank Christmas gifts – we would like to do a collection for this again – small treat food items. Bring to November meeting
· 70th Birthday celebration – Friday 18th January 2019 – Skittles in the Bell Inn – partners/friends/kids welcome. Meal booking optional.
Posted by Leigh on Mendip W.I. at 16:59